Unlike some other volunteer opportunities, Mazie volunteers go through a thorough screening and training process. This volunteer opportunity also requires a significant time commitment. We understand that it might not be for everyone and we want to help you decide if our program is a good match for you. Please take a moment to answer the following questions for yourself.
- Often people with good intentions are just too busy to volunteer. Mazie volunteers are asked to commit to 6 hours of initial training. Once accepted and trained, Mazie mentors have the flexibility to make their own schedules with their mentees, but are asked to meet 8 hours per month with their mentee. Mazie mentors are also asked to commit as best they can to staying with their mentee until they graduate, making it a 2.5-3 year commitment.
Do you have time in your life now for this commitment?
- We are looking for volunteers who possess certain skills/qualifications/characteristics. All mentors must:
- Be a high school graduate.
- Be at least 21 years of age.
- Able to communicate with a mentee regularly via phone or email.
- If employed, be in good standing at your place of employment.
- Commit to making a positive impact on a young teen’s life.
- A patient person, your mentee will be learning a lot of new skills and this may take time.
- Volunteering with Mazie means that you will be working with high school students of different socioeconomic, cultural, racial, ethnic, religious, and educational backgrounds.
Are you comfortable with this?
Thank you for taking the time to complete this self-assessment. If you answered yes to these three questions, we encourage you to attend one of our open houses and complete the volunteer application.
If after reading this you decide that this is not for you, but you would still like to help out, please contact Sean Cooney at 508-868-0570 or Sean.Cooney@bbbscm.org to hear about other short-term opportunities.
You can also look at Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Mass & Metrowest’s other volunteer opportunities at this link.